This dairy-free tres leches cake is a sweet and light dessert that will transport your taste buds to a tropical paradise.
For the cake
1 cup plain, unsweetened dairy-free milk, oat milk or soy milk is great
2 tsp lemon juice
⅓ cup oil, vegetable is preferred
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
⅔ cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
For soaking the cake:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup dairy-free condensed milk, try our recipe for dairy-free condensed milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
For topping cake:
- Sliced strawberries
- Dairy-free whipped cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the vegan buttermilk by combining the dairy-free milk and lemon juice in a small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk vigorously for 1 minute then set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the sugar and mix well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients (vegan buttermilk, oil and vanilla extract) to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour the batter into a lightly greased 8×8 or 7×11 baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes – it should still be warm for the next step.
- In a small bowl, combine the soaking mixture (coconut milk, condensed milk and dairy-free milk) and set aside. Use a skewer, chopstick or fork and poke holes in the top of the cake about ½ inch apart – the distance doesn’t matter just poke holes all over.
- Slowly pour the soaking mixture all over the cake ensuring that you get it into all of the crevices. Place the soaked cake into the refrigerator and allow it to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- After chilling, remove the cake from the refrigerator. Top with whipped cream and fresh strawberry slices. Serve.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 Slice
- Calories: 297
- Sugar: 16.9 g
- Sodium: 342.6 mg
- Fat: 15.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: tres leches cake