This dairy-free tomato soup recipe gives you the nostalgia and comfort of homemade soup without dairy.
- 1 Tbsp oil, grapeseed or olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion or shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes, roma, san marzano or beefsteak variety, chopped
- 2–3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 – 1 cup unsweetened, full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, finely chopped
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add the oil then saute the onion for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and vegetable stock to the pot and stir. Cover the pot and allow the tomatoes to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the skin pulls away from the flesh of the tomato.
- Turn down the heat and use a stick blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you don’t have a stick blender, then pour the soup into a high speed blender and slowly pulse the soup to process until smooth – work in batches if you need to.
- Pour the soup back into the pot. Pour in the coconut milk and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and basil then stir well. Let the soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Taste the soup to make sure that the seasoning is as desired. Turn off the heat and serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4th
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 891.9 mg
- Fat: 4.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.4 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg